Wondering whether to install solid timber or engineered flooring in your Sydney home? As professional floor suppliers and installers, Lion King Flooring are here to help you decide.
Pros and Cons of Solid Timber Flooring
Our solid hardwood flooring is sustainably-sourced from Australian Blackbutt, Spotted Gum and Blue Gum trees. Boards are typically sanded and refinished before being permanently nailed to the subfloor. So, what are the advantages and disadvantages of solid timber?
- It’s a hard-wearing material that can last up to many years if well maintained.
- Timber has a natural, timeless appearance with unique grains and tones.
- It can be sanded and refinished multiple times over its lifespan.
- Solid timber has a higher resale value than engineered flooring.
- Quality solid timber is more expensive than the high quality engineered flooring.
- It’s more difficult to install and usually needs to be done by a well experienced professional.
- Timber is more prone to shrink and warp depending on moisture and humidity levels, so it’s not ideal for kitchens, bathrooms or basements.
Pros and Cons of Engineered Flooring
Engineered flooring is made of a natural hardwood top backed by layers of lower-grade material. Planks are protected with a coating that comes in various designs and installed using a float or direct stick method. Our engineered timber flooring range includes collections from Imperial Oak, Australian Hardwood and Grand Oak Monarch.
- Its multiple layers make engineered flooring structurally strong and durable.
- Engineered flooring is relatively easy to fit and is even suitable for DIY installation.
- It’s less expensive than solid timber floors.
- This material is less likely to warp or buckle than hardwood flooring, meaning it can be used in basements, bathrooms and kitchens.
- The surface can only be refinished once or twice, giving a shorter lifespan of between 20 and 40 years under normal use.
- Engineered flooring has a more uniform look and lacks the variation, natural grain and beauty of solid wood.
- It tends to add less value to your home than solid timber flooring will.
What’s Best for You?
If you’ve weighed up the pros and cons of solid timber and engineered flooring and still can’t decide, contact us for an expert opinion. At Lion King Flooring, we supply and install all types of flooring across Sydney and provide no-obligation quotes, as well as delivery throughout NSW or a pick-up service from our warehouses.